The goal of this project is to raise public awareness and publicity to the Biological Weapons Convention (BWC). The BWC needs more attention, support, and effort to reach universal implementation. Biological agents could be misappropriated and misused for biological weapons (BW) by either state or non-state actors. The current advancements in biotechnology and available open-source information raise serious challenges to the international security and peace. Yet, lack of awareness and a misperception of the BWC have prevented universalization of the treaty, which is perceived by some states as an outdated cold war treaty. Given the serious threat of biological weapons, the Biological Weapons Convention must reach universalization similar to that of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT) and the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC). It is essential to strengthen the BWC to a greater extent in order to motivate non-member state parties to join the treaty as soon as possible without any further delay and create better awareness for BWC member states to effectively implement the treaty.
We aim to achieve our objectives by:
• Increasing knowledge and awareness of the BWC;
• Increasing media coverage of BWC related issues;
• Expanding outreach to stakeholder communities;
• Increasing recognition of the BWC positive achievements; and,
• Promoting greater confidence in multilateralism and international cooperation.